Friday, January 21, 2011

The United States: Pumpkin Pie

The dish: We Americans normally eat pumpkin pie in the fall and winter, during the holiday season.  If you were to go to a normal celebration of Thanksgiving, you would probably find pumpkin pie among the dessert selection. 

Why this? - I have a soft spot for pumpkin pie; I associate it with my birthday.  My birthday is right around Thanksgiving, so I've rarely ever had an actual cake on my birthday- I've always had pumpkin pie. 

Ingredients:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 canned pumpkin
1 can of evaporated milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 premade pie crust
1 big bowl
1 pie dish

Procedure:
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix the sugar, salt, and eggs into the canned pumpkin.
Slowly stir in the evaporated milk.
Unroll the pie crust and lay it in a pie dish.  I suggest pinching the edges to make the crust look pretty.  Don't leave too much crust hanging over the edges of the dish- the excess crust is likely to be burned if it hangs over the sides.
Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
Sprinkle the cinnamon on the top of the pie and swirl it around with a spoon.
Bake at 425° for 10- 15 minutes (depending on the efficiency of your oven). Then lower the temperature to 350° for 35-45 minutes.
Cool for half an hour.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment