Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ecuador: goat cheese and raspberry empanadas

The Dish: Yummy stuff
The Country: Up until a few months ago, the Galapagos Islands were home to Lonesome George, the 100 year old Pinta Island tortoise.  He was the only one left of his subspecies.


Ingredients:

11 oz goat cheese
several raspberries
basic dough for empanada shells
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

maybe I should have cropped out my cutting board... oh well.


Procedure:
Preheat oven to 325°
Mix the goat cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
Cut dough into palm size circles.
Place a scoop of the cheese mix on each circle.  Add two or three raspberries to each.
Close the pastry.
Bake for 12 minutes.

I sort of squashed the back three when I tried to flip them over... the bottom left ones look OK though.

Notes:  They were good, but my dough was a little dry.   Don't eat them hot, but don't eat them cold either.  When they are cold, the texture gets weird. I didn't shape them like empanadas... I wasn't totally sure how...
 Rating: 3.5 for taste, 2 for appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment